Saturday, August 26, 2006

All my friends... drive lowriders...


In case you haven't figured it out by now, the reason this blog is titled "My So-Called Life" is largely because my life seems surreal to me. Things happen that I just have to say, "yep. That's just the way my life goes".

Buying a car.

Since owning a car was completely unnecessary in Chicago, I haven't owned a vehicle since 2003. St. Petersburg is not nearly as transportationally blessed, so a car was mandatory. For the initial needs, I rented a car from Enterprise. I drove a white Saturn Ion for about three days before the driver's side window slipped off track. Nothing too major, I was able to move it so that the window stayed closed. Not exactly ideal, but doable. Too bad that when the window slipped out of place it happened to bump/jostle/break the door locking mechanism... in the locked position. The first time I got out of the car by sliding across the front seat and exiting from the passenger's side was mildly amusing. It got old quickly and Enterprise managed to swap it out for a Ford Taurus the next day. (Bo-ring)

Anywho - buying a car. The original contenders were Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape and the Honda CRV. For all the things that my father preaches about cars, there are a few things that I've found he's very right about. One of those things is driving standard transmission. However, since I was looking at used cars, finding cars with manual transmission is rather difficult. They exist, but are few and far between, particularly with the RAV4. (side note, this year Toyota ceased to offer manual transmission on that particular model.) The Honda CRV is apparently so pleasing that no-one wants to give them up, and there just aren't that many used CRVs available. Although the RAV4 was my first choice, it just wasn't panning out, and having my own car was more financially sound than renting for an extended period of time. The last car I owned was a Ford Explorer Sport (loved it!), so the Escape seemed an obvious choice.

Deciding on the Escape, I found a Blue, manual transmission with low miles and a good price. In Hudson, Florida. (Hudson is just over an hour from St. Pete, on a good traffic day) The roomie was excited for me, and feeling generous, so she accompanied (and drove) me to the bank for a loan, and the dealership for a test drive. The car had horrible white and gray swirl detail on the sides, but the dealer (Craig), immediately assured me it could be removed at no cost or damage to the vehicle. Kitty and I hopped in and drove off. Expecting to fall desperately in love with this car immediately, I was surprised to find my mouth forming a pout. Everything was just so... boring. The interior, the ride, the transmission... just boring. Also, I found myself slowing down immensely on each turn because I felt like it was going to tip over. And worst of all? The RPM and MPH dials were flipped. It was entirely disconcerting.

Still in denial that this wouldn't become my car, Kitty and I sat down with Craig and she started bargaining. The price had already come down a good amount, and I requested a sidebar with Kitty. I couldn't do it. I just didn't love it. And as all my friends know, I always have very strong feelings towards inanimate objects, so to get a car I didn't love would have been... well, it might have led to a serious emotional breakdown at a later date. So when Craig returned I told him it was a no-go, and then we discussed the other makes and models I was hoping for - did he perhaps have any, could he get any, etc. In the course of the conversation, he mentioned that he had a manual transmission Saturn VUE on the lot, with lower mileage and a lower sticker price. Since we were an hour away, and I was beginning to feel very guilty about Kitty driving me here and then NOT ending up with a car, we decided to test drive the VUE.

The VUE ends up being a dark Storm Gray. I had already decided that I was not getting a dark colored car in Florida - who needs extra reason for the car to heat up?? Got in and immediately preferred the arrangement of dials and instruments. Save one - the previous owner had gotten a custom gear shift that was not only completely innappropriate with the car, but hideous to look at, and metal. Did they want to burn their hand every time they got back in the car? We drove almost the exact same route as we had with the Escape, but the Saturn was much more responsive, and felt much more solid on the road. I began to get a little crush on it. Knowing my tendency to purchase on impulse, I decided that I would not, could not, think about buying the VUE without additional research.

Research indicated that Consumer Reports would not recommend a used VUE, but everyone who I knew that drove one was completely obsessed with their own car. Talked with the bank about the loan, talked with Craig about lowering the price. Finally we agreed on a price, including a replaced back bumper and a new gear shift knob. Then came the bank. They couldn't finalize the loan without proof of insurance.

Think about that for a second.

I didn't own a car, so I didn't have car insurance. Simple. I wasn't going to buy car insurance on a car that I didn't own. Simple. Yes, I would have insurance before I drove off the lot, but I can't drive off the lot until I have the loan to pay for the car. But I can't have the loan until I have insurance?

The bank does not see the inherent problems with this.

Finally, I decided the best plan of attack would be to do everything on the same day. Get insurance, have them send email confirmation, print out confirmation and take to the bank, get the loan finalized, head directly to the dealership for the car.

If only it were that easy.

Kitty's schedule is tricky, and the best we could do was now this -

Insurance, bank, I drive rental car out to Hudson, pick up VUE, return to St. Pete, when Kitty returns from work we drive up to Hudson together and pick up the rental car and come back. Sounds ridiculous, right? Well, yes.

So instead, contacted Enterprise and found I could drop off the rental in Hudson, about 5 miles from the dealership. Decided I would do that, then either have Enterprise drive me to the dealership, or have Craig pick me up from Enterprise. Better plan!

Saturday morning, woke up, got insurance, received and printed out the email. Went to the bank and finalized the loan. Then I called the Hudson Enterprise to confirm, and ask for a drop-off. Hudson Enterprise was closed. Uh-oh. Called the St. Pete Enterprise. Closed. Hmm. Called Kitty. Her plans had changed, and she wouldn't be able to make the two hour trip if I left the rental up in Hudson. Called my personal Enterprise contact and said, "help". The decision was made to simply leave the rental at the Hudson location, and leave messages on both the Hudson and St. Pete answering machines. Lock the keys in the center console and leave a copy of the rental agreement in the glove compartment. Okay - crisis averted!

Or not. Called the Hudson location. Their answering service was already full, and wouldn't accept any more messages. Called the St. Pete location. Their answering service was just completely fubar, and kept asking me to enter my passcode. Left the car in front of the Hudson location anyway, Craig picked me up and took me to the dealership. We signed everything, he handed me the keys, I got in the car. It kind of smelled like wet dog. Kitty had mentioned that during the test drive, but I honestly hadn't noticed. Decided I would deal with it, no problem. The back bumper was fixed, and the gear shift knob was replaced.

Drove off the lot. Popped in Kelly Clarkson and turned up the volume. Adjusted the bass and treble. Hmm. Apparently the previous owner had blown the speakers. Sweet. Okay, okay. Minor detail. Turned from 52 onto 19. The second light on 19, shifting into second gear - and the gear shift knob just slides right off. WHAT??? This happens once more on the way home, although most of the time I remember to push down on the knob so that it doesn't go flying off again.

Decide I will call Craig later, and buy an air freshener now.

Monday morning I get up early to call the St. Pete Enterprise as soon as they open. They inform me that they will be billing me for the pop-a-lock service (since the keys were locked in the car). I tell them that I'm going to argue about that, but the point is moot until we know how much the service will cost. Enterprise Man says he will call me with the additional information after speaking with the Hudson location. I turn off the phone while I'm at work. At lunchtime there is a voicemail message from Enterprise Man saying that he has spoken with the Hudson location, and several locations in that area, and no-one has the car I dropped off. Is it possible I left it at the dealership where I purchased the car?

Yes. I'm so stupid, I completely forgot that little thing at the dealership. Whoops!

No. I call St. Pete Enterprise and speak with Enterprise Woman, who checks the notes, calls the Hudson location and confirms that they never found the Ford Taurus. She offers me the Hudson location phone number. I call. The first person I speak with knows exactly what car I'm talking about, confirms that they already had the keys removed, in fact - he's already rented the car out again. He mentions that he's glad the St. Pete office called earlier in the morning so they knew what the story was with that one.

Call St. Pete Enterprise and speak with Enterprise Man from the morning. Explain the previous discussions. He's blown away. He needs to confirm with Hudson Enterprise. He'll call if there's anything else I need to know.

And I haven't heard from them since.

No comments: