Thursday, August 03, 2006

Heads Carolina, Tails California - Chicago to Florida, Days Three and Four

Technically, Day Three doesn't really count, because I spent it in Cleveland, not actually progressing with the trip.

Day Three was 11 hours of sleep (finally) and another fabulous shower. Lunch at Tommy's (ham and swiss w/lettuce and tomato on pita bread) with Parker, followed by yummy ice cream. (We also gave ice cream to the cop) Visited PetLand and cooed over all the puppies, particularly a Pomeranian who was quite smitten with me as well. (Still don't approve of the puppies being at PetLand, or the "monthly payment plan" on dogs, but the dogs can't help it!!!) My parents and I attempted to go to a movie (Devil Wears Prada), but most of the Shaker Square power grid went out - yep, all those midwestern and eastern states that are sweating miserably right now? Includes Ohio, and Cleveland and lots of people using record amounts of electricity. No movie. Instead - Indian food at Cafe Tandoor!! (Shrimp in a garlic, tomato, lemon and coconut curry) Post-dinner was intended for planning my trip. My lovely parents did all the work. I worked on a crossword puzzle that I couldn't finish and laundry that wouldn't dry.

Day Four started a little later than expected, after a hearty breakfast of leftover curry and Strawberry Parfait Pie. Cleveland to West Virginia... now, I'm not saying everyone in West Virginia is a redneck... but, during a stop for gas, I passed an ancient station wagon. Faux wood panelling on the sides, and almost as long as the truck I'm driving. The gentleman in the front seat waved at me, and smiled. Showing that one of his two front teeth was missing. (sigh)

West Virginia to Virginia. Virginia to North Carolina. Stopped for the evening at a Microtel in Statesville. The sign on the door said "No pets allowed". The sign on the desk said "No pets allowed". I paid for a room, brought in my clothes, purse, computer and bag with cat dishes through the front entryway. Took the side stairs out, put Mister (the cat) into my pillowcase (with pillow) and brought my "pillow" and the litterbox through the side door. Ordered way too much food, way too late at night (pizza, antipasto salad and a sprite). After paying the delivery girl and giving her a ridiculously large tip, I decided I should put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out. Naturally, Mister took this opportunity to dart out the door. I then chased him up and down the second floor hall (literally, one way and then the other). Unfortunately, I would never make a good criminal - I couldn't relax enough to really sleep because I was convinced someone was going to come up, yell at me and kick me out of the hotel for bringing in Mister.

Oh - worst part of the evening? I planned my stop so that I would have time to eat and shower before watching my very favorite show, Project Runway. Made sure the hotel had cable... but didn't think to ask if they had Bravo. They don't. I missed my show. Total bust. Watched the season finale of The Hills instead. Um, hi - Lauren is a complete moron. She chose Jason over Paris? Stupid stupid girl.

800 miles down!!!

(I don't know what's left)

No comments: